A manifold is the plumbing hub for a property’s plumbing system from which all water is distributed throughout the house. Various pipes are connected to this plumbing manifold through sanitary appliances such as washing machines, sinks and baths.
A plumbing manifold hugely reduces dependency on several fittings and therefore, is considered quite revolutionary in modern landscaping. It is a versatile hub that is also easy to install and takes care of all the plumbing woes, reducing logistical necessities.
There are several types of manifolds in plumbing distinguished by both size and shape and the type of materials used. Two of the most commonly used manifolds in plumbing in today’s time include:
- Copper Manifolds: These are used as an alternative to traditional plumbing systems. The biggest benefits include that they are adept at regulating hot and cold water flow in a single system. They are also resistant to rust.
- PEX Manifolds: These are a hybrid arrangement between copper fittings and PEX installations that make them a far superior product to use that both saves energy and is also easy to install and operate. These are also flexible and resistant to freezing, especially during the winters when conventional pipes freeze.
Manifolds in plumbing are like the control box that controls the distribution of cold and hot water throughout the property they are installed in.
The way they work is that they are usually connected to plastic plumbing systems to deliver a consistent source of water at various temperature points.
In terms of the basic structure, the manifold in plumbing consists of the main service line that branches out into many outward streams through a tubular chamber. Imagine it like a fountain with a steady source of water supply that eventually branches out.
For smaller homes and residential projects, installing one manifold may make the work easier. However, bigger properties with excessive workloads may need multiple manifolds.
Plumbing manifolds should be mounted at locations that are both easy to access and safe in the house, allowing you to shut it off immediately in case there is a hiccup. The fact that most of the modern manifolds use PEX makes them robust and rust-free.
A manifold in plumbing has emerged as an instrument of great utility and offers a number of benefits. These include the following:
- A plumbing manifold can be easily installed and therefore saves you labor costs.
- It cuts down on the number of fittings required saving money again and also leading to lower water pressure drop ensuring consistent water supply throughout.
- Manifolds are built in a way that makes them corrosion resistant and therefore, long lasting.
- They can be mounted between wall studs that make them aesthetically feasible.
- The fewer joints in the system reduce the probability of leakages. Fewer joints also save up on installation times.
- They provide better control over the property’s plumbing by making a centralized control system.
- All the fittings can be isolated individually in case of any problem.
- They are more energy efficient.
- They can be installed with pipes having small diameters.
Plumbing manifolds come in different varieties. The most commonly used plumbing manifolds are composed of copper, brass and bronze. Sometimes, an upgraded technological material known as PEX/cross-linked polyethylene is also used.
Since these are composed of materials that are resistant to corrosion and rust, a manifold in plumbing, if maintained, well can last you a very long time. In fact, PEX plumbing manifolds are both corrosion resistant and can also withstand cold snapping.
The costs vary depending upon the material and installation, but when compared to a traditional plumbing system involving a number of joints and elaborate installations, manifolds in plumbing prove to be cost-effective.
The benefits of manifolds are too many to count. The only con associated with the plumbing manifold is that it can’t be installed in older properties because of difficulties in integration.
A plumbing manifold serves a number of purposes in any property. It eases the workflow significantly and is an innovative solution that is only bound to attract more takers.